Exercising Pet Safety with Fertilizer Use

Each year hundreds of pets are sent to the vet due to exposure or ingestion of fertilizers. Protect not just your pets but your family as well by learning the risks of using pesticides and fertilizers.  Keeping pests at bay and maintaining a lawn using fertilizers is part of owning a home.  It is important that you follow all the necessary safety precautions to ensure your pet does not get sick when exposed to it.

According to Fertilizer Company Minnetonka MN experts, pesticides and fertilizers are designed to kill weeds, rodents, mosquitoes and a whole lot of other things. While not intended to harm us, if the pesticides are ingested or absorbed into our body via the air or through the mouth, nose, skin and paws it can do a lot of damage.

Danger

The danger to pets especially to dogs is they love to walk around our lawns and gardens as well as other areas that are treated chemically on a regular basis.  This means they unknowingly absorb harmful chemicals or possibly even eat or ingest something that contains them.

Keep your Fertilizer Away from Pets

Make sure that you properly store your pesticides and fertilizers away from the reach of kids and pets. Ensure that the lids are properly sealed and that there is no leakage. Check the manufacturer label on when you could safely allow your pet to roam the garden after you have sprayed it with pesticide or fertilizer.  The best solution is to put them away in a locked area or cabinet.

Fertilizer Company Long Lake MN specialists recommend keeping your pesticides in their original containers as transferring them to your own risk losing the directions for its use as well as increase the chance of having a loose-fitting lid or leak.  Never use the product near pet bowls, toys or sleeping areas to minimize the risk of exposure.

Discuss with your Vet

It is always a good idea to speak with your vet in order to get more information about the effect of pesticides or fertilizers on pets as well as what to do in the event that there is exposure or ingestion.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-NpVIEtlyBc